Login

In 1886 Lord Ellesmere gave the land to be used as a public green and bore the expense of its construction. The cost of a pavilion at a later date was funded by subscription.

In 1886 Lord Ellesmere gave the land to be used as a public green and bore the expense of its construction. The cost of a pavilion at a later date was funded by subscription.

The green was opened by Lord Mulgrave in the absence of Lord Ellesmere on August 14th 1886. In 1889 extra land was granted and two tennis courts were opened and later enlarged in 1891. The pavilion was enlarged in 1901 but was burnt down and the present one was erected in the 1930s.

The Worsley Cricket Club was founded in 1846 by the first Earl of Ellesmere, thus improving the districts facilities for his tenants. The two clubs were amalgamated in 1975 and the Ellesmere Sports Club was born. Find out more about the Earl of Ellesmere. Croquet was also introduced as a sport in the 1930s and is still played today.

The introduction of squash as a sport within the club came in 1979. The Ellesmere Sports Club currently hosts two separate rooms. The Sutherland Suite and the Members Sports Bar. Both rooms are available for hire. A third room is opening as a bistro in the autumn of 2017.

E-Fest The Legends

Start Date
25th August 2019, 12:00 pm

End Date
25th August 2019, 9:00 pm

Details

Music, Beer, Proseco bar, Food Stalls, Picnic Area, Hog Roast, Fun Fair & Manchester's Strongest Man

12pm till late

£15 per person, or £30 family ticket​.

Pledge Your Support and Receive the Latest Deals and Offers